IMPORTANT COVID-19 FOOD BANK UPDATE
• Funds - to purchase additional foods and support expanded services.
• Volunteers - to help sort, pack, and distribute food at both food banks and agencies.
• Boxes, Bags & To-Go Containers - to pre-pack food for alternative (i.e., social-distancing) distributions.
o SNAP Outreach teams report being inundated with referrals and inquiries; receiving more referrals in a day than they usually would in a month.
o This is also impeding the food banks' ability to sort, process, and pack foods and boxes.
o People have started coming up to delivery trucks asking for food directly from drivers and crowds have become somewhat aggressive in a few situations.
• Projecting long term, if the situation worsens to the point of not wanting agencies to visit food banks nor guests to visit food pantries, then food bank will have to devise a distribution network that does not widely exist today.
While its generally been reported greater at-risk factors for COVID-19 among the general population are those people age 50+ and with pre-existing health conditions, the residents the Feeding Illinois food banks its network of local agencies serve may be equally, if not more, susceptible to this virus - due to lesser access to adequate health care and treatment, lower resistance or compromised immune systems, stigma or bias, or lack of information about proper prevention and care.
Feeding Illinois food banks and their agencies are trusted community resources; and our respective and collective efforts can be essential to your community’s health by:
· Providing nourishment to vulnerable populations during this time of heightened anxiety,
· Ensuring that we treat all people with respect and dignity, and
· Conveying accurate information to help protect the neighbors we serve.
Please consider helping us meet this obligation with a generous gift to provide continued - and expanded - support and relief to those individuals and families impacted most by the ongoing health emergency.
To Help, Please Click on http://www.feedingamerica.org/covidIL
We pledge to direct your contribution to the food bank serving your area and where it can do the most good to help halt this expanding crisis in Illinois. We are committed to serving people in need, wherever they are. We, along with Feeding America and numerous other private and public entities, are constantly and carefully monitoring developments regarding the spread of COVID-19. Feeding America is also actively consulting with FEMA, National VOAD, the USDA and leveraging other partners who are in a position to support measures to ensure access to food for the most vulnerable members of our communities during this situation.
Additional COVID-19 Information & Resources